Backup Dependent Care
Two Emergency Back-up Child Care Options for Student Parents!
Option 1: Mrs. B’s Daycare, infant through 12 years old:
- MSU students receive five days of emergency back-up care per child in the family, per year.
- Allotment of days are renewed on an academic calendar basis, starting Fall semester each year.
- The service is free of charge.
- Child must be free of communicable disease and capable of participating in regularly planned activities
- Space can be reserved up to two weeks in advanced.
Complete required paperwork ahead of time at this link:EBUpaperwork
Contact Mrs. B’s Daycare:
2445 Dobie Road, Mason, MI 48854
Option 2: In collaboration with Home Instead Senior Care, a franchised national home care agency, MSU offers a subsidized dependent care service to faculty, staff, and students in the family’s home.
- In-home backup or emergency care for well or mildly ill children or dependent elders
- MSU subsidizes approximately 70% of the cost
- Students pay $6.00/hour for a home aide
- Requests for care must be made at least four hours in advance for service. The more advanced notice provided (weeks to months), the more likely service can be arranged. Based on demand, on-call staff cannot be guaranteed
- Call Home Instead directly to request care, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Pre-registration strongly encouraged; forms available here
- Cancellation- A three hour charge will be applied for scheduled visits cancelled with less than a 12 hours notice
- MSU families are eligible for up to 30 hours of subsidized care per year, to be used in blocks of three hours or more
Service is currently limited to a twenty mile radius to MSU (Greater East Lansing/Lansing area). Contact Home Instead directly for information about service outside of the Lansing area.
Backup Dependent Care reduces your stress level when life happens!