Backup Dependent Care
Emergency Back-up Child Care Options for Student Parents!
Option 1: Mrs. B’s Daycare, infant through 12 years old
Bailey Preschool & Childcare Center, infant through 12 years old
- MSU students receive five days of emergency back-up care per child in the family, per year.
- Allotment of days are renewed on an academic calendar basis, starting Fall semester each year.
- The service is free of charge.
- Child must be free of communicable disease and capable of participating in regularly planned activities
- Space can be reserved up to two weeks in advanced.
Complete required paperwork ahead of time at this link: EBUpaperwork
Contact Mrs. B’s Daycare:
2445 Dobie Road,
Mason, MI 48854
Hours of operation: 6:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Contact Bailey Preschool & Childcare Center:
300 Bailey Street, Suite 100
East Lansing, MI 48823
Hours of operation: 6:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Option 2: In collaboration with Home Instead Senior Care, a franchised national home care agency, MSU offers a subsidized dependent care service to faculty, staff, and students in the family’s home.
- In-home backup or emergency care for well or mildly ill children or dependent elders
- MSU subsidizes approximately 70% of the cost
- Students pay $6.00/hour for a home aide
- Requests for care must be made at least four hours in advance for service. The more advanced notice provided (weeks to months), the more likely service can be arranged. Based on demand, on-call staff cannot be guaranteed
- Call Home Instead directly to request care, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Pre-registration strongly encouraged; forms available here
- Cancellation- A $30 charge will be applied for scheduled visits cancelled with less than a 12 hours notice
- MSU families are eligible for up to 32 hours of subsidized care per year, to be used in blocks of three hours or more
Service is currently limited to a twenty mile radius to MSU (Greater East Lansing/Lansing area). Contact Home Instead directly for information about service outside of the Lansing area.
Option 3: Care.com (also known as Care@Work)
Students may search for care providers, negotiate rates, and are responsible for 100% of the cost. MSU provides free access to search and contact service providers. Through Care-on-Call, students can find last-minute care in their homes.
To obtain your FREE access visit www.care.com/msu to sign up with your MSU NETID.
Backup Dependent Care reduces your stress level when life happens!