Backup Dependent Care
Emergency Back-up Child/Elder Care Options for Student Parents!
Mrs. B’s Daycare
Mrs. B’s Daycare Center accept infants through 12 years.
- MSU students receive five days of emergency back-up care per child in the family, per year.
- Allotment of days are renewed on an academic calendar basis, starting Fall semester each year.
- The service is free of charge.
- Child must be free of communicable disease and capable of participating in regularly planned activities
- Space can be reserved up to two weeks in advanced.
Complete required paperwork ahead of time at this link: EBU Paperwork
Contact Mrs. B’s Daycare:
2445 Dobie Road,
Mason, MI 48854
Hours of operation: 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Backup or Emergency Dependent Care Services
Safe at Home is a division of Kennedy Care, a leader in home health care based out of Ann Arbor, MI. Kennedy Care: Safe at Home can serve MSU faculty and staff around the state of Michigan. Kennedy Care provides passionate caregivers assisting with important everyday tasks to keep clients safe in their homes. Back-up child care is available for children ages six weeks to thirteen years old who are both healthy and mildly ill. Back-up elder care is available for seniors. The Kennedy Care team is devoted to delivering excellent client experiences and is available 24/7, across the state of Michigan.
- Phone: 800-790-7233, call 24 hours a day. Please reserve care at least four hours in advance.
- Website: www.kennedycare.com/safeathome (childcare) or Kennedy Care (eldercare)
- Pre-registration required: Childcare form, Eldercare form. Complete it, and send to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the website here: www.kennedycare.com/back-up-services for childcare.
- Ages served: 6 weeks to 13 years old, seniors
- Serves well and mildly ill children and dependent elders
- Hours of Operation: flexible
- Facility: Services provided in your family’s home.
- Cost/MSU Subsidy: Staff and faculty pay $7.00 per hour for a home aide or in-home childcare provider; students pay a discounted rate of $3.00 per hour for a home aide or childcare provider
Additional details of service:
Advanced notice: The more advanced notice provided to Kennedy Care (weeks to months), the more likely service can be arranged. Based on demand, on-call staff cannot be guaranteed.
Cancellation – A service cancellation should be made 24 hours prior to the service. All cancellations must be emailed to email@example.com. A subsidized charge equivalent to 4 hours of care (4 hours are also subtracted from your subsidized hour bank) will be assessed for cancellations made less than 24 hours in advance. Details at www.kennedycare.com/safeathome
MSU families are eligible for up to 40 hours of subsidized dependent care per dependent, per family. Hours beyond the 40 hours of subsidized care will be charged at the full Kennedy Care hourly rate for service at the expense of the user of the services.
Location limitations may apply to service, although Kennedy Care and Kennedy Care: Safe At Home have care providers all over the state. To inquire whether you live in a coverage area, contact Kennedy Care at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-790-7233.
August 2020 Virtual Assistance Training Update from Kennedy Care:
Kennedy Care is now offering Virtual Assistance Training for all child care providers on staff. This resource provides the tools and knowledge needed to best aid students while they navigate through online learning. The training includes information on three Learning Management Systems (LMS) in detail that include Google Classroom, Seesaw, and Schoology. If your family uses a different LMS platform Kennedy Care will offer additional support. Furthermore, the training will include strategies for communication between students and teachers, engaging educational teaching resources, and plans for accountability for grades K-12.
May 2020 COVID-19 Update from Kennedy Care:
“As everyone is trying to adapt to these new circumstances, and challenges we want families to know that we’re here to help. Kennedy Care is designed to provide high quality child care services to support working families. It’s our mission to make a lasting impact on communities and we want to provide support to essential workers who need us the most right now. Regardless, if you’re working from home and you’re in need of additional support or a first responder, we’re here as a resource to you.
Safe At Home will operate with special COVID-19 protocols in place to ensure everyone’s safety. We’re following all CDC guidelines and best practices. We’re staffed with trained, experienced and local child care professionals. We are taking into consideration the health of the child before accepting service requests. We added extra fields to our service forms so that we are more informed. Additionally we’re evaluating our caregivers’ health before each visit to ensure they’re not presenting any symptoms. Our team also has access to masks if needed.
Safe At Home is proud to offer peace of mind to families so they can focus on their critical jobs. When you can’t be there, we can keep your child Safe At Home. Request care: www.kennedycare.com/safeathome“
Bailey Preschool & Childcare Center
- Phone: 517-220-2939
- Website: https://baileypreschoolchildcare.com/about/
- Address: 300 Bailey Street, Suite 100, East Lansing, MI 48823, one block north of campus
- Ages served: 0-12 years
- Serves well children: children who are without sickness
- Hours of Operation: 6:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Facility: Daycare center
- Drop-in emergency care available; you must call first to inquire about space
- Smaller time frames of care available, but if you use over 3 hours in a day, it will be considered a full day.
- Costs/MSU subsidy: MSU will pay up to five full days of care per child at Bailey, at no cost to the parent.
Bailey Preschool and Childcare Center, a newly built licensed center that just opened in 2018, is designed to ensure that each child is presented with opportunities to grow socially, emotionally, physically, academically, and independently. The center owner, Sheryl Howard, has been in the childcare field for over 30 years, and owns two other care centers in the mid-Michigan area. The programs at Bailey use curiosity, trial and error, hands on activities, creative discovery centers and child-based curriculum to make learning fun, positive, and meaningful. It is their teachers’ role to encourage and teach fundamental skills, such as early literacy skills, basic math skills, social-emotional readiness, and trust in a fun, positive, and meaningful way. This form of care only serves children who are without sickness.
Care.com (also known as Care@Work)
Students may search for care providers and negotiate rates, but are responsible for 100% of the cost. MSU provides free access to search and contact service providers. Through Care-on-Call, students can find last-minute care in their homes.
To obtain your FREE access visit www.care.com/msu to sign up with your MSU NETID.
Backup Dependent Care reduces your stress level when life happens!